Silk care & FAQs
I want to create a gift for my friend. Can I mix and match?
Yes, all our products have been designed to mix and match from across our different ranges so that you can create the perfect gift.
Simply choose the items that you would like to add and we'll hand package these into a gift box for you. There is no extra charge for gift boxes if the order contains at least one silk pillowcase or eye mask. If your order does not contain either of these items, you can add a gift box for a small extra charge.
We can also add a handwritten note to include in your gift box so please add this in the notes box in your card before checkout and we can arrange this for you.
How should I care for my silk items?
We use the highest grade silk available in the world and a luxury thickness of 22 momme, which means the silk we use is durable and machine washable. However, as silk is a delicate fabric by nature, the more carefully it is looked after, the longer it will last.
1. Hand-wash (pillowcases, eye masks, face masks, scrunchies)
We recommend hand washing your silk items in cool water (below 30°C) with a gentle pH neutral detergent.
For best results:
- Immerse the item in cold water with a few drops of silk detergent.
- Rinse with cold water.
- Optional: add a spoonful of distilled white vinegar to one litre of cold water, rinse the item to keep the silk sheen. To finish, rinse again in cold water.
- To dry, spread item out on a towel and roll up gently to absorb excess moisture. Do not wring or twist the fabric.
- Dry flat or hang, avoiding direct sunlight.
2. Machine-wash (pillowcases only)
Our products are machine washable on a cool or delicates setting (below 30°C). Only a small amount of liquid silk detergent should be used (pH neutral) and we also recommend turning the pillowcase inside out and placing in a laundry bag before washing.
Once washed, silk products can be left out to air dry in the shade. Do not tumble dry.
Will my silk items crease or wrinkle after washing?
Our products are made from 100% natural mulberry silk which means they may wrinkle slightly as you use it or after washing.
You can iron your pillowcase on a silk setting or steam your silk products. We recommend ironing the silk pillowcase while still damp using a low temperature silk setting. We recommend ironing through a damp cotton cloth or using a steam setting.
What does momme count mean?
This is the universal measure of the weight of silk, which typically indicates the thickness of silk fabric.
For bedding, a minimum momme count of 19 momme should be used. Whilst many silk pillowcases available in retail stores are 19 momme (or sometimes lower), we use a momme count of 22, which has almost 20% more silk than an equivalent 19 momme pillowcase. This means the silk will feel thicker as well as being more durable and feels more comforting on your skin.
Why should I switch from using cotton?
Although cotton may feel soft, it is more abrasive than silk and creates more friction against your skin and hair. This leads to creases on your face and dehydrated skin during the night, as well as tugging on your delicate hair, which causes hair breakage and frizz.
Silk has a smoother surface compared to cotton and retains less moisture than cotton, which makes it better for your hair and skin. It also naturally heat regulates your skin, which keeps you cool while you sleep to give you an overall more comfortable sleeping experience. See more benefits of silk here.
Why should I buy from The Silk Collection?
- Premium quality - we use the highest grade 6A long fibre 100% mulberry silk, with a luxury thickness of 22 momme.
- Everyday luxury – we provide the highest quality silk products without the premium price tag.
- Slow fashion movement - we use natural silk fabric to create high quality, timeless pieces made to last.
- Free from toxic dyes – we only use eco-friendly dyes, certified STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX®.
- Support small – We are a small UK business, with all orders hand packaged ourselves in London.
- Supporting mental health awareness – we donate 10% of our profits to Mind Charity.
What is your shipping policy?
We offer FREE standard UK shipping on all orders above £40
For UK orders under £40, a £3.99 shipping fee will apply for standard shipping. We also offer Next Day delivery service (1-2 working days) for a fee of £5.50.